I've recently published a new project called Flash Chord (at FlashChord.com) which is a web-based tool for practicing chords, scales, and arpeggios against an endless stream of randomized chords.
Recently, while working on the temporary site for Moonfar, I wanted to send the user an email as confirmation that they had signed up for email notifications. Essentially, you define the recipient, the subject line, the body, a few headers, and then call the
mail() function while passing those parameters to it. PHP's
mail() function does the rest, provided that your host has PHP configured properly.
I can't tell you how many times, both personally and professionally, I've come across web sites that have out of date copyright dates. A living, breathing, up to date site should have a current copyright date somewhere on the page, usually in the footer. Changing the year is easy enough if it's static, but it's one of those things you have to remember to do (and you have to know how to do it).
I like providing links for e-mail on web pages, but I hate that spam-bots scrape sites looking for e-mail addresses linked in the usual manner. There are many hacks to try to avoid spam-bots
The Cander Method Version 1 (AKA: "Make The User Do The Work")
Named for a friend that I learned this from, one way to avoid this is to use ineffective links that require a person to modify address before sending it. Here's an example:
I frequently need to setup a quick and temporary link for file download either for myself or others, but I hate having to create a new page with links to files that are only going to exist for a few hours. Apache and other web servers often provide this functionality with directory browsing, but I usually want directory browsing disabled or the server that I'm using (that isn't mine) has directory browsing disabled and I can't turn it on.
Recently I was working with a client who wanted a blog for their site but they didn't have the money (and I didn't have the time) for a completely one-off solution. The initially proposed solution was to simply make the "Blog" link point to a Blogger (which was purchased by Google a while back, if you missed it) site for the client.